My approach for migrating a SP2007 website:
- Cleanup!! 🙂
- Solutions, Features, old code…
- Prepare your new SP servers! Install all necessary custom solutions, features, site definitions …
- Don’t forget to check your web.config file for custom ConfigSections and ConnectionStrings!!
- run the "stsadm.exe -o preupgradecheck" command on your SP2007 server
- Fix errors: My top 10 errors where just missing features => Cleanup 🙂
- This command actually set some flags in de DB (your users can still work further!!), this is required for the migration!
- Backup the database via SQL
- Set your SP2007 site collection on ReadOnly via "stsadm -o SetSiteLock -url http://SP2007 -lock Readonly"
- Cover yourself up 🙂 otherwise users (with a bigger pay check) can kick you when there last changes are not migrated 🙂
- Restore the database on your new server
- Before you attach the db you should run the Powershell command "Test-SPContentDatabase -name YourContentDBName -WebApplication http://YourNewUrl"
- Check if remaining issues could block the migration
- run the "stsadm -o addcontentdb -url "http://YourNewUrl" -databaseserver "YourSqlServer" -database "YourDBName"
- Open the site and go to the Settings Page of your site collection
- Click on the link to execute the visual upgrade.
- Do a regular check on your site! Keep your end-users informed 😉